Well done for finding no.10 on the Hill End habitats trail!
The scrub habitat at Hill End is very rich in wildlife and has regular management to maintain a varied age structure and to stop it being overcome by woodland.
See the recent cutting and look out for the flowers, caterpillars and butterflies that rely on this work.
You now know more about how we manage scrubland on our site. If you want to find out even more, try these websites and links:
- Scrub management and its value to wildlife: https://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-06
- Scrub management options: http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?doc=90704&id=90978
- Scrub management for farm wildlife: https://farmwildlife.info/how-to-do-it-5/existing-wildlife-habitats/scrub/
- Scrub management for butterflies: https://butterfly-conservation.org/our-work/habitat-management/woodland-and-scrub
- Scrub management case study: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/scrub-clearance-in-the-cotswolds
- Scrub as a habitat: https://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/flora-and-fauna/woodland-types-scrub/